Thursday, August 20, 2009

OUTSOURCING a/k/a Do you really know who is representing you?

A relatively new and growing trend in providing legal services is "outsourcing." This is apparently when the lawyer or law firm you hire delegates some of its legal work to someone else generally somewhere else. I do not do this. Of course, I am well aware of this cost-cutting strategy with some businesses, like your telephone company, but I personally do not think it is a good choice for legal work.

As a sole practitioner I develop very close relationships with my clients. I chalk that up to the fact that I am the one and only lawyer you will have representing you if you hire me. Your case will not get bumped down the line to a newer associate or to another colleague. I handle all my cases personally. I also know that the particular area of law I practice makes this personal relationship even more important to most of my clients. They have to share very intimate facts about their lives and families.

The Florida Bar Board of Governors is now considering modifying a prior opinion they gave approving the outsourcing of legal services. It seems like common sense to me that this trend is fraught with potential problems that will ultimately erode public confidence in the legal system. I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: