Thursday, June 5, 2008

Back and Forth

So I came in and worked over last weekend. I followed up on a variety of relatively small matters that had been sitting on my desk awaiting my attention. I typed up lots of memos to my Assistant and action plans to follow-up on.

Now four days later all of those items are back in my office. My Assistant did follow-up. But now they are back to me for some further action I must take.

When she just deposited 10 additional files on my desk she kind of snickered. So now my office looked like hers did. I do not begrudge the work by any means but somehow I do prefer my desk being clear. I guess she does too.

I know some people feel the sign of a messy desk is the sign of major work underway and I cannot dispute that notion but I much prefer organization on my desk. I generally make lists of the work needed to be done with priority preference identified. So then my desk top is actually clear but for that list. But I also know some who would say why waste the time on a list and just dive right in.

Let me know which system you prefer; but for now I am off to "dive in!"

No comments: