Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Being Present

As I run through life busy with errands, dinner, and meetings, I often find myself briskly answering my children's questions with the shortest, most "to-the-point" answer possible. I generally think of my straight forward bottom line analysis as a positive character trait. Especially when it seems a fast answer is important.

But lately at home it seems I am constantly in a hurry, just trying to get from point A to point B. And then on occasion, one of their thoughts or questions stops me dead in my tracks. I can almost see the gears turning in their heads and I am just amazed by the depth of their thought or question. It is in these little moments when I can really be present with them that I feel like I am right on the edge of realizing the so called meaning of life. Enjoying their growth, their curiosity and their imagination is just such a gift; I have to remind myself more frequently to slow down and listen.

No comments: