Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Conversations

As you can tell from my lack on entries for the last month or so, I've been busy. Now my family is finally getting back into the school year rhythm. Though, my youngest one complains daily about the cafeteria noise ("Don't like it Mama") and I feel for her. Unwanted, loud noise has always bothered me though I know it's something she'll just have to adjust to. In time, I have no doubt she probably be the loudest one in there. It is hard to really communicate in that kind of environment. Sort of analogous to communicating with someone when you don't really mean what you say or say what you mean. I have heard from various experts in my line of work that the key to effective communication is doing just that - saying what you mean and meaning what you say. Easier said than done! What about the person who really doesn't want to hear what you have to say? Or the person who would rather just pretend there is no issue to discuss ... the ignorance is bliss type. What if you are trying to talk to a person like that? I still think you have to try. You can only change your own actions, not others, but still trying to connect is kind of the point. So I guess no matter how loud the chatter or how difficult the subject, you still put one foot in front of the other and try. I hope your background noise settles down to a reasonable level and all your conversations are spirited and true.

No comments: