Thursday, September 4, 2008

Speeches

Being a political science major, I have been intently watching all the political speeches at the Republican National Convention this week and the Democratic National Convention last week. The cadence of the delivery is so interesting to me. When I have given speeches or arguments to the Court, I always find the timing difficult to perceive when I am in the midst of it. For those of you who have heard me talk, especially about something I am passionate about, I really zoom. Judges have told me more than one time to slow down so the Court Reporter can get it all down. For me, that task is next to impossible though I have gotten a little better with age, plus I have learned to give the Court Reporter a copy of all my case cites and often my notes beforehand. I certainly admire those gifted at public speaking as well as those that write the lines we remember.

No comments: